To keep yourself safe during the holidays remember these steps.
- Be aware of your surroundings, be alert of suspicious people and vehicles and avoid dangerous situations.
- If someone does try to steal from you, give them the property. Call 911 immediately!
- Carry your wallet or credit cards in your pocket, instead of in a purse or bag.
- Don't carry more money than you need.
- Don't carry a lot of packages. Lock them in the trunk of your car.
- Don't display your gifts in your front window.
- Have a friend or family member check on your house and clean your yard, if you leave on vacation.
- Ensure outlets are not overloaded.
- Check for bad bulbs and loose wires before setting up decorations.
- Wear simple costumes with make-up and bright colors, not long bulky costumes with masks.
- Write your name and address on the inside of your costume and your trick or treat bag.
- Obey traffic rules.
- Cross at crosswalks and watch for cars.
- Walk on the sidewalk or facing traffic, don't walk on the street.
- Carry a flashlight.
- Have your parents inspect your candy.
- Only accept wrapped candy.
- Tell the police if you find harmful items in your bag.
- Don't damage other people's property!